Meet Your Scottsdale Orthodontist
Dr. Monika Barakat was born and raised in the south of Poland prior to moving to New Jersey at the age of 15. She received her Bachelor’s of Art in Biology in 1999 from Kean University and her DMD degree from Rutgers School of Dental Medicine, formerly New Jersey Dental School, in 2003. During her time in dental school, she discovered a passion for orthodontics and thus pursued further post-graduate training as part of a dual degree program at the Rutgers School of Dental Medicine. In addition to three years of specialty training in the orthodontic department, for which she was awarded a Specialty Certificate in Orthodontics, she also pursued and earned a Master of Science in Dentistry Degree in 2006.
Over the course of the next 10 years, Dr. Barakat welcomed two beautiful girls into the world, moved from New Jersey to Ohio and then Arizona as her husband began and then finished his specialty training. All the while, she continued to dedicate herself to practice exclusively orthodontics in many diverse settings, both within large groups, small private practices, and as an independent consultant. Nonetheless, she always dreamt of opening up her own office, with the goal of demanding excellence of herself and those around her for the best possible patient outcomes. Soon after realizing that her family was thriving in Arizona and had found a home, she began to pursue that dream: after nearly two years of planning, Opus 1 Orthodontic Studio opened its doors in 2016.
Why an Orthodontist in Scottsdale?
Orthodontist vs. Dentist
An orthodontist is a dentist, but a dentist is not an Orthodontist. All orthodontists are dentists first, but though not every dentist has the qualifications to be an orthodontist. Dr. Barakat continued her formal education for 2 or 3 additional years before receiving the necessary license and certification. As an orthodontist, Dr. Barakat has spent years studying nothing but how and why to move teeth. This includes what to do, how to plan, and how to execute the appropriate treatment plan.
Why does it matter if you see your Scottsdale Orthodontist?
Specialists receive additional training to give them the skills needed to deal with more complex orthodontic problems. Dentists receive basic orthodontic training which allows them to perform root canals, extract wisdom teeth, and treat young children who do not need to see an orthodontist yet.
Seeing a specialist like your Scottsdale orthodontist may change your experience in braces by:
- Providing additional treatment options.
- Giving you more efficient treatment and visits, because it is the office's primary area of care.
- Knowing that you'll receive the best possible outcome on your treatment plan, especially if you have severe bite problems that need to be addressed.
- Personal experience treating multiple cases that share your unique concerns
- Being seen more quickly, as a family dentist will be focused on longer patient cases or emergencies throughout the day.
- You may think it's easier to have your orthodontic work completed by your dentist. Convenience shouldn't be a concern, because you will only be stopping by your Scottsdale orthodontist's offices every six to eight weeks.
And don't let price be a problem either! Opus 1 Orthodontic Studio is proud to provide affordable treatment in the Scottsdale area.