Scottsdale Metal Braces
The Latest Treatments for Your Best Smile
Today’s metal braces are smaller than ever, their wires are more durable and efficient, and they’re endlessly customizable with exciting band colors and detachable fun-shaped brackets.
Opus1 Orthodontic Studio uses self-ligating braces to straighten your smile at our Scottsdale office. Rather than using the metal clasps and rubber bands found in traditional braces, self-ligating braces use simple clips or doors to gently and more efficiently move your teeth into place.
Braces in Scottsdale, AZ
The most popular and affordable of all braces, metal braces are made out of top quality stainless steel, nickel (or gold plating for those with nickel allergies) and other metals for strength.
Metal braces may be necessary when treating extreme overcrowding and more difficult or complex conditions.
The Benefits of Metal Braces
Today’s metal braces are more visually appealing than in past years, with decorative brackets and color options for the elastics. Other benefits include:
- Stronger and less likely to break than other braces
- Teeth move into position more quickly
- Braces may not need to be worn as long as aligners
- Bonded to the teeth so can’t be removed and lost like aligners
- Fun-shaped brackets and colored elastics to personalize braces
The Downsides of Metal Braces
The biggest downside for many people is simply having metal braces. Less noticeable orthodontics like Invisalign may seem like a better choice for people who are especially sensitive about their appearance. Other downsides include:
- Teeth are harder to clean
- Certain foods that stick to teeth or might break wires must be avoided
- Some sports and physical activities put brace wearers at increased risk of injury to mouth
What Are Self-Ligating Braces?
Self-ligating braces have been in use since the 1970s. With a recent upsurge in popularity, they are becoming a more frequently requested option for people who prefer or need traditional braces and want to shorten treatment time.
Rather than using the rubber bands or metal ties needed for ligation in traditional braces, simple clips or doors are used for metal or ceramic self-ligating braces (SLBs).
Ask about the Pitts 21 Self ligating Appliance System now available at the Opus1 Orthodontic Studio in Scottsdale.
How Do Self-Ligating Braces Work?
They work similarly to traditional braces, with the only major difference being how the wire is attached and adjusted to move the teeth. With traditional braces, ligature and rubber bands are used to hold the wire in place. With SLBs, the wires are held firmly in place in a clip or door without the need for bands or ties, making them less painful and more comfortable for some people.
At each visit to Opus1 Orthodontic Studios in Scottsdale, the brackets are easily adjusted to move the teeth toward your goal.
Available in both metal and ceramic brackets, some self-ligating braces are smaller than traditional braces, and more tooth shows without the bands, making SLBs less visible.
Although SLBs stand out slightly more and for some people this may irritate the lips or cheeks a little more than with traditional braces, most people find that dental wax reduces the discomfort and the irritation will diminish over time.
What are the Benefits of Self-Ligating Braces?
For those patients Dr. Barakat determines may be a good candidate for this type of treatment, SLBs offer several benefits over traditional braces. With self-ligating braces, some patients may experience:
- Teeth adjust faster, depending on the biology of the patient and the way their teeth move
- More comfortable due to less friction and pressure being placed on the teeth compared to traditional braces
- Cleaning teeth is easier without bands
- Less time in the chair to adjust brackets
- Fewer visits to the orthodontist